Epoxy vs. Polyester

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:23:15 -0400

Exactly right. It is an often-used procedure in the marine industry to =
epoxy-coat wood and then use a standard marine varnish over it to =
prevent sun damage. We're talking decks, spars and transoms that sit in =
direct sunshine day in, day out. West System has all sorts of excellent =
guidance material for an application like this. I can guarantee, that =
properly done, epoxy will perform excellent.

I don't really know too much about polyester though. But then again, I =
guess there are about 28 gazillion poly boat hulls out there.....

Terry Farrell

  Ultra-violet light breaks down epoxy. If you are going to use it where =
it will be exposed to sunlight you need to protect it with some finish =
material that contains UV blockers. This can be a colored finish such as =
black lacquer or a clear exterior grade lacquer or varnish that contains =
the necessary UV blockers.

  Del

---

    List Members:

    Does anyone know or have experience with epoxy as a coating verses =
polyester as a coating.  It's for a piano that sits outside during the =
summer months (long story).

    I've worked with polyester for years and know how it holds up.  But =
don't know how epoxy will hold up in sunlight.

    =20

    Paul C