Keytop thicknesses

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:05:45 -0700

Alan Barnard asked: "To Joe ... What replacement tops do you use when =
(a) replacing ivory, and (b) replacing plastic/ivorine/cellulose?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

Alan,
For Ivory, I use Ivory!<G> For plastic/Ivorine/cellulose, I use .050" or =
.060" Ivorine. For fronts, I've been using .030" material from =
PianoTech, but I'm not real fond of the stuff, as it is the same damned =
material as the "moulded" keytops stuff!!! It is easily scratched and is =
EXTREMELY difficult to buff w/o galling the damned stuff!! Grrrrrr! I =
asked them and they said: "Gee, we don't have any problem with it, when =
we replace key tops/fronts." Like I'm some kind of idiot er sumpin' =
Grrrr! Unfortunately, they are the only ones that have front material =
that is thin enough. Schaff has a bunch of the stuff they inherited from =
APSCO, that is actually "moulded"! BUT! It is, dimensionally TOO SMALL =
for most key sets! Yikes! Go figger!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police