Nobody Knows the Treble I've Seen ...

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:00:40 -0700

Hi, Alan,

At 03:30 PM 7/28/2005, you wrote:

>Tuned these two pianos in two consecutive days ...
>
>New Yamaha GA-1 (yurk): In addition to low treble from hell, the 6th and
>7th octaves are just screechers, wild and wooley. On the spectrograph,
>some of the individual strings have about 8 peaks each!

Yes...and not much with which to make the rough places plane...

>70's Kimball console: Entire treble, up to about G7 at least, is clean,
>and sweet.
>
>I don't think the patented Thermomezonuclear Soundboard is the reason and
>I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the Exclusive
>Harmi-Tone-ExcuseMeWhileIBarf action, BUT this piano does have one of
>those steel rod inserts for the upper string terminations instead of on
>the usual bump in the cast iron.
>
>Think that might be part of success in a clean treble? I'm going to be
>more observant of pianos with and without this and see if it's a trend.

Nah - it has more to do with the Custom Pressed MooseFelt Hammers from
Granite Felt Company...aided, of course, by liberal applications of
clarified Yak butter for hardening.

Sadly, the some of the newer Yamahas seem to have replaced Kimball as the
pianos the tuning of which is very much like nailing Jello to a wall.

Cheers!

Horace