Howdya get CA off of polyester???

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:11:10 -0400

Re: Howdya get CA off of polyester???Oops, I missed that. Right you are. =
Thanks.

But that begs another question: Is it not likely that either the finish =
is not polyester or that another finish has been applied over the poly? =
I don't know that I have ever seen a polyester finish in satin - seems =
it would just turn kinda white. Best be careful with this one....

Terry Farrell

  In this particular case it is a satin finish. I don't think he'll need =
the buffing wheel or polish.=20

  =20

  Dean

  Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

  PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

  Terre Haute IN  47802

  =20

  CA can be dissolved with acetone. Acetone won't hurt polyester, =
particularly if its only in contact with the polyester for a short time. =
After you wash the CA off, just polish the polyester surface again with =
any of the polymer polishes. It will take the slight dulling off to come =
up just like new. But please make sure that the finish you are proposing =
to removing the CA from is indeed polyester. If its acid cat or any of =
the other lacquers, acetone will remove both the CA and the lacquer =
coating.

  =20

  Ron O.

  =20

    And then of course, have your buffing wheel available!

    =20

    Terry Farrell

    =20

      I have scraped it off with a razor or knife and then dressed the =
finish with a little 4/0 steel wool. You could even use some 600 =
sandpaper first and then the steel wool. Try an inconspicuous area first =
to see how it is going to look on the finish. But if you can hardly see =
it now probably hitting a couple of times with the steel wool will make =
it disappear.

      =20

      Dean

      Dean May

      =20

      I just finished tuning a satin walnut polyester piano that has a =
few loose pins.  It's a couple of years old, and still under warranty, =
but I figured I try to CA a couple of pins anyway.=20

      =20

      Just to prove that performing that operation requires care and =
patience, I spilled a very small amount on the keyslip....:-([(

      At least it isn't laquer.  I got most of it off before it had time =
to set, but as we all know, the stuff dries durned fast!  So there are a =
couple of very small marks on the front.=20

      =20

      The finish doesn't appear to be damaged at all, and it's hardly =
visible, but I can see it.  I'd like to do right by the customer and get =
it off if possible, but I didn't want to apply chemicals that might take =
the finish off in conjunction with the glue...

      =20

      If any of you have an idea about how to remove this stuff, please =
let me know!

      =20

      It's always on the fourth tuning of the day...

      =20

      Thanks in advance!

      =20

      Dave Stahl