Fw: S&S action problem

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:54:26 -0500

David,

No experience to relate, but I am getting ready to do something to a
sloping capstain S&S.  My common sense tells me that in terms of low
friction and high efficiencey, backwards sloping caps are bad, vertical
caps are better, and forward sloping (e.g. Overs) may be best.    A 1920 NY
"O" got new hammers and shanks about 10 years ago, but not wips.   They are
original, and bogged down with verdigris.  When the owner comes up with the
money to replace wips, I intend to remove the caps, plug the holes,
establish a new capstain line based on touch weight analysis, and install
them vertically.  In the archives, or maybe back issues of PTG Journal, you
can find info on changing the capstain line, plugging old holes, etc.  One
key (sorry about the pun) element in the process is a capstain in a small
block of wood that you can slide along  the key to determine the best
location.

Mike

capstan type steinway grands ? I see that the problem that you were
discussing was on a very old 1880s steinway my problems tend to be in the
models - mostly model M & O ex Hamburg made in the 1920 - 1935 range.

> All suggestions gratefully received - see attached for original
explanation. Thanks David