Pedal Question

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:02:49 +0100

Hello Alan and List
The L ped on some grands does indeed lift all the hammers closer to the =
strings. The Grand version of the old Upright "half-blow". Several =
English baby grands employ this feature.
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 8:42 PM
  Subject: Pedal Question

  What are typical uses for the left pedal in grands that don't have a =
shifting keyframe?

  I'm rebuilding a messed up lyre for a 1922 Winton grand. Among other =
problems, the piton dowels were lost in a move and I can't figure out =
what the left pedal does. The right is full sustain, the center is =
bass-only sustain. But the left looks like it pushes a dowel up under =
the keys, behind the center rail. Since there is no una corda, the =
keyframe is screwed down to the bed. Could there be a lifting rod under =
the back part of the keys to raise the keys, whippens, and hammers =
slightly in a sort of "soft pedal" mechanism like an upright?

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri

  The mob was going to rub out Marcel Marceau but decided not to becasue =
a mime is a terrible thing to waste.