VERDIGRIS IS COPPER CORROSION

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:08:54 -0700

Dale,
Sorry , my writing was perhaps not clear.  I said that on actions which
are NOT treated as the Steinway flanges were, rebushing can be a
solution, because there is no chemical in the wooden action part to
re-contaminate the bushing.

I agree with you on solving Steinway verdigris problems by replacing the
action parts.

Respectfully over on this side, too.
Jurgen Goering

>    Jurgen
>    I have to respectfully  remonstrate strongly about the notion that
> one has simply to re bush & repin A verdigris steinway flange & it
> will be fine. Having done this I can assure ONE & ALL  that the green
> crud will come back. Why? because the problem is in the wood. I
> re-pinned my own L many years ago It took more hours to do than the
> cost of a new set of shanks & the time to travel them & it didnt' last
> but half a year. I've treated them in percholrethelene, Lubed them
> with whatever. Nothing is permanent & it's a waste of time & the
> clients money
>   So  Why do  folks want to keep promoting the myth that this garbage
> can be succesfully repaired? IT CAN'T. Even if parts can't be had it's
> still not the solution.
>   Respectfully
>   Dale Erwin
>
>     the bushing.  I am talking about flanges that weren't dipped in a
>     "preservative" like so many of the old Steinways.  I believe on
>     these actions, one can get very good results by rebushing the
>     flanges.  A lot of work, no doubt, but the only way to go if parts
>     can't be had

>    Now if I hear one more time about fixin vertigris I think I'll
> Implode. Not really
>  end-o- rant
>   Dale

Don't Dale, we need you!