VERDIGRIS IS COPPER CORROSION

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:27:53 -0400

Hi Thump,

> Come to think of it Terry, that IS a good idea....if
> PureSound has adequate surface polish! ( Anyone want
> to lend me an electron-scanning microscope??? Sarah
> ????????  )

Moi????

Some sort of polish (flitz, rouge, whatever) would be the way to go.  It
should be very quick and easy to polish a long piece of wire with an
abrasive-loaded cloth.  If yoiu want to be really fancy and have the
abrasive grooves in the correct direction, you can chuck some wire in an
electric drill and polish it that way.  Just don't chuck too long a wire, as
it can get tangled.  A lot of RotoRooter guys get injured that way.

One word of caution:  Even stainless steel can corrode.  (Ask me about the
propellor shaft on my boat!  The previous owner wasn't timely with his zinc
anode replacements.)  The wood is the source of acids that corrode the pins.
Similarly, common-variety paper products are acidic.  This is yet another
reason why we should *maybe* rethink the whole wood idea for action parts.
(Having said that, I do marvel at bamboo's structural properties.  It's
straight, consistent, light, and strong.  As I was eating Thai food the
other night, I was wondering why nobody (??) has tried using bamboo for
hammer shanks -- perhaps glued into rock maple flange parts.  Perhaps some
of the Asian manufacturers???)

Peace,
Sarah