Bluthner Tuning

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:45:27 +1000

  Terry and all,

>I just booked a first-time tuning for a Bluthner=20
>grand (first time for me to tune it). It is said=20
>to be about 55 years old. Is this piano likely=20
>to have the 4th string aliquot system up in the=20
>high treble? If so, is there any special tuning=20
>techniques for it? I've never tuned one of=20
>these. Just pluck it and tune it beatless with=20
>the other three strings of each note?
>
>Terry Farrell

I have tuned numerous aliquot Bl=FCthners=20
(Australia was the second biggest export market=20
for German pianos, after the UK, from 1880 to=20
1914). They also made models without the aliquots=20
for the domestic market. I use a felt wedge,=20
placing it between the centre and right unisons,=20
with it leaning over to the right so that it also=20
wedges off the aliquot length. As you suggest,=20
plucking the aliquots is the go, in order of=20
proceedings after the unisons are sorted (the=20
aliquots are mostly false - I'm not a big fan of=20
these).

You'll find Bl=FCthners to be very interesting=20
pianos from a design perspective. The earlier=20
versions had a large and curved bass side corner=20
cut-off (the most common models are the 5'6" and=20
the 6'2"). The sound board was compression=20
crowned and clearly under-engineered for=20
durability. The rib heights are rather shallower=20
in relation to their width. These boards almost=20
always collapse right along the line of the long=20
bridge. The bridge layout and scaling isn't up=20
there with contemporary thinking, but there is a=20
range of other worthwhile design ideas in these=20
instruments.

In recent years we had a very early Bl=FCthner=20
(from around 1860) come in for transit damage=20
repairs. The workmanship was very ordinary on=20
this example. This was to me most surprising=20
since they were being very-well made by around=20
1885.

When I was a student at high school (during the=20
early 70's), the local returned-soldiers club in=20
the town (now city) of Griffith had a Bl=FCthner=20
concert grand from around 1880. This fascinating=20
instrument had an 85 note compass with an overall=20
length of 10'4.75". The sound board was like a=20
venetian blind, with daylight showing through=20
cracks everywhere. During the rebuilding phase of=20
my career, I harboured a desire to acquire the=20
Bl=FCthner some day and rebuild it. But alas, the=20
club had a major fire and the piano was=20
incinerated.

Take your trouble light Terry. You'll find=20
Bl=FCthners very interesting, with a dark tone that=20
is quite unique. For the less experienced fork=20
bashers, these instruments provide a challenge=20
when setting the temperament. The fullness of=20
tone can lead you to make the fifths and fourths=20
too pure.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY