climbing mt Everett

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:54:17 -0500

> Hi Ron,
> In this case the piano needed the strings ( don't know a term for
> relaxing the little non kink )
> as we did a pitch raise first of 30 cents.
> I do this at or very near pitch as I do not want to have my work be of
> no value. In other words seating the strings and then doing a big pitch
> raise puts the string back in the need of having the kink put back in.
> Its a need more to get the kink and the string running as straight as
> possible to the next termination point than to settle the string on the
> bridge.
> I hope my intentions are clear. It is a little hard for me to explain.
> Joe Goss RPT

Hi Joe,
Yes, your intentions are clear, but are your assumptions necessarily
accurate? I've done many a major pitch raise without having to do
anything to the wire at the bridge pins, to no apparent detriment.
False beats in the treble are still most likely (and easily
diagnosed as) loose bridge pins. My point was that if you had just
CA'd the pins without any seating, you might have learned if the
seating was necessary at all. As long as seating is almost
universally presumed to be an indispensable part of any service
procedure, no one will ever learn the difference. Isolate cause and
effect relationships and find out what does what.

Ron N