RPT Tests, An Observation

Warren Fisher fishwar@bellsouth.net
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:41:15 -0500

Joe,
I have more spare time than anyone else around here, so I started a weekly training class using the PACE series lessons.  I have 3 associates attending and 5 lined up for the next one that starts in early October.  I have had a hard time keeping up with weekly so the next class will be bi-weekly.  We have nearly finished the first class.  About 4 more lessons I believe.  Boy did I ever learn a lot!!!!  I didn't realize how much I didn't know about grand regulation!!
Warren

Warren Fisher- RPT
Navy Retired - Slidell, Louisiana
98 2500 Dodge Cummins TD, DTT Auto, Smart Controller, E-Brake, ATF, EGT, and Boost gauges, Mag Hytec tranny and differential pans, Aux. tranny cooler, 4" exhaust, monster air filter, engine 125 hp upgrade.
02 Titanium fiver 28E33, aerodynamic front end, 2-120W solr panls, Friendship 2000 invrtr,
four Lifeline absorbed glass mat battries, Honda 5000 genset

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: 7/31/2005 1:24:47 PM
Subject: Re: RPT Tests, An Observation

Alan Barnard said: "I notice every month in the journal there are many more "new members" than there are "new RPTs".  It seems like, over time, the numbers ought to be almost the same, discounting only non-tuning members. I have my theories. There were quite a few who took exams in Kansas City, but are not now RPT's. Are we undermotivated? Underprepared?

Your thoughts?

One other thing: Some regions have pretty good accomodation for people who want to take exams. Others, it seems, have very limited numbers of opportunities--few CTEs and TECs, few willing mentors, perhaps, or people willing to set up and run exams.

I don't want to make it "easy" to become an RPT, but if there are barriers having nothing to do with the talent, knowledge and interest of Associate members, they need to be removed, methinks."

Alan,
It has thus, forever. I've been of the same mind in this regard. I wish there were a way to "motivate" RPTs to get more involved with the "process". Personally, I mentor as much as is possible. But, I'm just one RPT, can't do 'em all. This should be a topic at ALL Chapter Meetings. Hmmm? Perhaps some kind of incentive program for those who mentor?
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I