coil winder

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:38:26 -0500

What you describe is correct assume you pulled the top of the string up to the right pin, used the fat part of your fingers and only made about 1 1/2 to 2 turns on the coil maker, if you make all three turns it becomes very hard to stretch the string up and over the in-piano pin. Were you able to unwind the coil a little and get it on?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 06/02/2005 7:27:16 PM
Subject: coil winder

OK Folks,
I tried using a coil winder on a bass string replacement for a Steinway upright today. First I slipped the string through the action and clamped the loop over the hitch pin. Then I measured four fingers past the pin for the coil and used the winder to make a nice neat coil. Slipped it off the pin and went to put it on the pin in the piano. It was way too short!
What is the correct procedure for this repair?

Thanks,
Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano