reflections on a hammer

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 21:27:08 +0200

On 3-jun-05, at 17:02, Joe Garrett wrote:

> Renner or Abel? Neither one!!! What you need/want are essentially Cold=20=

> Pressed Hammers. I would suggest Ronsen. Ray does a very nice job of=20=

> reproducing "ancient" style hammers.
> Regards,
> Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares R I

Joe, you live in the USA, far away from Europe. For Americans it is=20
natural to buy their hammers in the USA, just as it is common sense for=20=

Europeans to buy their hammers in Europe.
To get hammers to Europe from the USA is of course more expensive=20
because of the shipping, but at the same time it is not really=20
necessary because we have in Germany two major hammer makers, who also=20=

have their agents in the USA, whereas Ray Negron does not really export=20=

his hammers to Europe, as far as I know (is that correct Ray?).
I write this actually in answer to Calin who lives in Rumania.

Calin, I think there is a difference between Abel and Renner, but I do=20=

not really know the difference between them in how they make their=20
hammers.
Up till recently, Abel mainly used VFG felt, while Renner mainly used=20
Wurzen felt.
That has changed now.
I have visited both hammer makers and both make excellent hammers.

Renner I have visited a number of times and to Abel I went just one=20
time.
Both make many many hammers for all of the world, but about Renner I=20
know that they have a fully automated hammer press which I think is=20
better for making balanced hammers, because one can control the process=20=

of making hammers in a more efficient way.
Furthermore, we buy our hammers straight from Renner because there is=20
no restriction there, whereas Abel works only through an agent in=20
Holland and that is the only place to get Abel hammers for Dutch=20
technicians.
A direct contact with the factory means also a more efficient way to=20
exchange ideas about making special hammers. I know that both factories=20=

make excellent copies of any hammer, but the interference of an agent=20
limits us in that very same process and we therefor buy our hammers=20
from Renner only.
The result is a magnificent range of hammers we love to work with every=20=

day.
This also clearly shows that protectionism works against individual=20
development.

This is not really an account of my personal choice, because I already=20=

said that both companies make very good hammers, (proivided the felt is=20=

Wurzen felt ! ). The best thing to do would be to try out both=20
factories and see which hammer set pleases you the most.
Of course it would be very interesting to try Ronsen's hammers as well,=20=

maybe the cost of shipping is not that bad after all.

It is not easy for Europeans to judge publicly between two excellent=20
European hammer factories.
Maybe that's the reason why only American technicians have reacted so=20
far, and most Euroepean listers remain silent in their  usual silent=20
lurking mode?

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek