reflections on a hammer

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 4 Jun 2005 07:29:40 -0700

I'll be possibly re-hammering a Bechstein 9 fter this summer.   I=
 might be interested in a set of those hammers...

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: antares
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: reflections on a hammer

On 4-jun-05, at 7:46, Quentin Codevelle wrote:

Hello Andre,

Does your message mean that Abel uses only Wurzen felt now?
Or do they propose to choose between VFG or Wurzen for their=
 hammers?

I remarked that the Abel VFG hammers that are sold in sets=
 (without boring) are really nicely shaped, although the Renner=
 sets of hammers with Wurzen are looking more "rough".
Does it has to do with the press they use, or do Abel workers=
 iron the hammers after the gluing process, so that the hammer=
 looks fine?

Thanks,

Q.

I'll show you a year old picture of our Bechstein hammer, made=
 for us by Renner.

This is a typical example of a magnificent, custom made, hammer=
 with Wzen AA quality.
No sanding, no dope, no ironing (which I think kills felt anyway)=
 no nothing. Just glued in a very modern press.

Over time we have altered this hammer : it is now in walnut, with=
 a different tail, and the weight has been changed to our=
 specifics. This is the miracle hammer of my choice for Bechstein=
 grands.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek