Flat-strung upright

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:22:49 -0700

Sarah said:"It also appears to be a birdcage!  The piano has a "cheapie" =
look to it.
Notice the bronze finish on the upper half of the plate but not the =
lower
half.  Most curious is the lack of music desk, except for what appears =
to be
an improvised framework thingie hanging over the front.  Oh, and of =
course
it's a two-pedal design.  I wonder if these features were simply
cost-cutting measures taken during the Great Depression.  (What year was =
it
built -- Hoffmann, S/N 30652?)

I guess flat-stringing was easier/faster to string?  Perhaps it was
faster/easier to make and hang the hammers?  Would a birdcage action =
have
been cheaper/easier to build/install?  (Yes, I know they're no fun to
service, but that wasn't the manufacturer's concern.)  Very interesting
piano, in a Depression-ish sort of way.  ;-)"

Sarah et al,
The piano(?) in question is definately not of the 1930's! The Newest one =
I've ever encountered was made in 1930 and had a much more modern case =
design. It's probably 1900-1910 at the most. Typical, in all ways, of =
the English Over-damper piano(s). The "music rack" is also quite =
typical. I've seen that type of rack installed on German pianos that =
were in England. A nice feature of the rack is the little tabs to hold =
the music pages.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police