Overtones - Clarification

Bruce Gibson Piano Technician bruce@bgpianotech.com
Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:33:27 -0600

Hello everyone.

Last week I asked for assistance regarding overtones in bass strings on =
a Kawai RX-2. I want to thank all those who generously responded.=20

Some people asked me to be a little more specific about the problem, so =
here goes.

The problem is most prominent in the bass bi-chords, although it shows =
up in the singles as well. High overtones are quite audible in single =
strings of the bi-chord, ie. I've muted off one string. The overtone is =
not coming from the back-string area, nor is it coming from undampered =
strings, nor is it coming from the room or any other part of the piano. =
The overtone is clearly being generated from the string itself.=20

QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this noise by rescaling the =
offending string(s)?
2. Has anyone had any luck by installing Scott Jones' "Pitch Lock" =
string couplers?
3. Ted Sambell was doing some experimentation, at the Banff Centre a few =
years back, by adding mass at one end of the string. Has anyone else =
tried this? If so, please describe what you did and what was the result.
4. Is this just the nature of the beast, and the client is going to have =
to live with it?

I look forward to any suggestions and answers to my questions.

Sincere regards,

Bruce Gibson
Piano Technician
Saskatoon, Canada