Reaming Jack Spring Hole

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 18:33:16 -0500

Well, here's an idea that comes to mind:

Cut off the knurled handle and put the remaining, thinner, shaft in a Dremmel. You'd have to figure out how long to leave the shaft and if it doesn't fit well with any of the collets, you can get a Dremmel chuck that works like any other drill chuck, only smaller.

You'd want to use a very slow speed, I would think. Alan Hoekleman from St. Louis chapter told me that he has excellent control using a sanding head on the two-speed, batter operated Dremmel MiniMite for shaping hammers, so I bought one. It has a 5000 rpm setting that I think would work well for the project you have in mind. It is also very light and easy to use. I no longer carry the my regular, corded Dremmel in the truck.

If you try it, let us know. The tool would be ruined for hand use, but even there it would always fit into a pin vise.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: John Fortiner
To: Pianotech List
Sent: 06/05/2005 4:02:08 PM
Subject: Reaming Jack Spring Hole

Anyone have a good idea for reaming those holes in wippens that jack springs are glued into??  I ask because the tool sold by the supply houses is fine for a couple of holes, but trying to do a full set with that thing would really result in sore fingers.  I’ve tried chucking it into a drill press, but it wanders all over the top of the wippen regardless of speed.
Thoughts??

John Fortiner
Billings, MT.