models

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:37:35 -0400

Brad,
         Thanks for the offer of the delimited manufacturers' list. I'd
love to take you up on that.
         My reason for choosing Filemaker was twofold. First, and most
important was the fact that my younger brother works on this quite a lot in
the OSU language department. He will be my first call when I can't figure
out how to do something. Secondly it is very robust and much easier, or so
I'm told, to use than the other contenders in it's similar category. If
you've ever looked at PTBiz you will have seen what I hope to do with this
database. Since PTBiz was built on MS Access and is proprietary I have no
way of extracting information in the way I want and / or of customizing the
database to the way I want to use it. While most offerings could do what
you ask of it below I am requiring something a bit more. Filemaker sees
itself as an application builder as much as it is a database. Based on this
and my brother's prodding I purchased it. I'm also told that it is very
robust for building web applications as well. We'll see.
         I'm most curious is a information set is available describing the
available models from each manufacturer. Especially
historically!

best,
Greg