Steinway O Redesign

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu@gmx.net
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:35:39 +0300

Hi Dale!

You wrote:
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 5:15 PM
  Subject: Steinway O Redesign

    =20
     Dear Belly heads
     Some months ago I started a project to answer a question about the =
parameters of the old S.S. O sound board design
      . I have always felt it's  board design  deficient. It seemed that =
occasionally I'd find an old well preserved one here in CA that really =
sounded quite good but most , even under the best of circumstances had =
flat boards or just lifeless tone. The hazards of C. C. crowning aside, =
this narrow design parameters & lack luster tone I surmise  is one =
reason the model was changed in 1923  to the more successful square tail =
design of the L.
I was a little surprised by what you wrote here. I have heard a lot of =
people say that the O is better than the L and M. An all O's I've heard =
were better than average. For such a short piano they have a really good =
bass and lots of power.

What design parameters do you consider bad in the O?
      The O I'm currently ushering out the door this week has a =
redesigned board . I added a modest straight cutoff bar. I also added an =
extra rib for more support in the treble so that in the first capo =
section there are three ribs supporting the killer octave.  These taller =
less wide ribs are also fanned into  the treble. There is no more killer =
octave, no weak notes. It's strong & clear with so much pop & power & =
wonderful sustain. All sustain freaks should welcome this.
Do you have any pictures and recordings of this redesigned piano? I'd =
like to see what you did to it.

Regards,

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com