Stupid pet computer tricks, automate Mapquest from your database

Brad Smith staff@smithpiano.com
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 07:29:18 -0400

Here's a neat thing I've figured out for quickly "MapQuesting" an address
When you go to     http://www.mapquest.com    there are fields to enter
address info and click to produce a map.

The resulting URL gives you the formula that mapquest needs to find that
address again.
It is simply a string of text that instructs Mapquest on what to produce.
So, I found a way to have my software write a dummy letter, which inserts a
customer's address fields into that string of text.
I am using the contact management software's ability to spit out a letter,
which is populated with fields of my choice.

EXAMPLE:
Let's say I need to find PTG in Kansas City when I arrive tomorrow.    The
address is:

PTG - Piano Technicians Guild
4444 Forest Avenue
Kansas City, KS  66106

The dummy letter creates the following:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=Kansas City&state=KS&address=4444
Forest Avenue&zip=66106&country=us&zoom=7

If you copy the entire string of text above, and paste it into a browser,
you'll get a Mapquest map of PTG in Kansas City....voila!!

In the string below, the spots where you insert the fields are in ALL CAPS.
Read it from left to right slowly, and you'll see the 'instructions'.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=INSERTCITYFIELD&state=INSERTSTATEF
IELD&address=INSERTADDRESSFIELD&zip=INSERTZIPFIELD&country=us&zoom=7

Play with it, and make your software write the dummy letter, inserting your
fields.
Click to produce the letter.
When the dummy letter comes up, I use CTL+A to 'select all', then CTL+C to
copy,  then ALT+TAB to switch back to my contact management software.
Then CTL+V to paste the custom URL into a field I created for it.   (The
field is formatted to treat it as an Internet URL.)
Now the customer's record has a customized MapQuest link that I can hit any
time to quickly remember where they are on the map.
(This takes much longer to type/describe than actually do...)

With practice, the key stroke combinations become second nature.

Ok, I know....I need to get out of the house more often.
I was thrilled to discover this, and wanted to share with the List.
SEE Ya'll in Kansas City!!

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
www.smithpiano.com