Crescendo Punchings

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:11:55 -0400

Dear André (and Jurgen),

Despite my initial skepticism I've decided to try a set of your fine wool
punchings on a Mason & Hamlin CC c1903 (9' 4.5") concert grand that I'm
working on for a local concert venue.  Sylvia Traey will be performing on
the instrument and I value her opinion highly...  I'm happy to report her
impressions...  There certainly are an impressive number of opinions coming
in from respectable techs on these new products and you Andre deserve great
credit for your success in getting finer quality wool into pianos,
especially in the hammers...

Years ago (the late eighties) I was frustrated with the reluctance of the
piano industry to use finer quality wool felt and cold pressing in their
hammers and even bought myself a production wool carding machine and
supporting equipment including a fine set of Dolge hammer presses with the
intention of "doing it myself".  Fortunately my sights got set on a subject
that I was able to make progress in (touch weight) instead of re-inventing
the wool wheel...  The hammer presses have been restored and are being
successfully used by a friend and associate and the carding machine and
attending equipment still sit in a trailer in the back pasture...

So again I offer my heartfelt thanks for your perseverance and success.

David Stanwood

PS - André... just because I disagree or express an opposing opinion about
an idea doesn't make me your "enemy".  I'm sorry that you feel this way and
I'll try not to hurt your feelings in the future, however I will never
hesitate to express my opinion based on facts and experience even if it
chances to go against the grain.

For the sake of this list I think that we should all try to avoid being
reactionary, in a personal sense, in our list responses because I can see
that it inhibits many from getting involved in the discussion.