Bandsaw maintenance Phase II

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:52:06 +1000

--============_-1093505766==_ma============
Hi all,

Re Dale's O - nice to hear that you're getting satisfying results
with the new board.

I've just spent the best part of another week bogged down in bandsaw
maintenance. The design of the saw had several shortcoming which
resulted in much sawdust in the workspace. So I've made further
modifications to help reduce my dust exposure, which is starting to
affect my health.

The dust extraction duct on the right is original. The shroud which
isolates the lower guides and new blade brushes from the lower wheel
housing was a modification I made soon after getting the saw,
although I've added another piece to join it to the top side of the
wheel housing, so that its rigid enough to carry the new left hand
blade brush.

The lower wheel housing had far too much open area which allowed dust
to get out and around the shop, and there was no extraction port for
the lower wheel housing. The sheet metal around the motor drive
shaft, and the piece immediately below it, are new. The blade brushes
and the new wheel brush, and associated mounts, are newly fabricated.
The new 4' extraction outlet at the bottom left of the wheel housing
is new. There now remains about 6 sq" of aperture where the footbrake
lever protrudes through the housing, and there is quite a
cross-sectional area where the band travels up the back side of the
saw. The better shrouding of the lower housing and the new 4" lower
outlet should result in quite a down-draft going against the blade as
it rises in the rear housing. This should help to strip the fine dust
from the blade before it reaches to top wheel. Well that's the theory
anyhow.

You'll also notice that this saw is mounted on a set of Darnell piano
castors for ease of moving around the shop.

Repainted the new additions last night, so its re-assembly time this
morning, then I'm off tuning in the country for a week.

The newly rebuilt CF is seeing its first serious work in a regional
eisteddfod, so I'm taking a few days to prepare it and to do several
other local jobs.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY