Crescendo Punchings

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:44:04 -0400

>Mr Stanwood.
>
>Some time ago you sent an email to pianotech in which you made it clear
>that you had tried some new piano related items, and you made it clear
>that you could not distinguish any difference at all on a "certain
>vintage Steinway" belonging to one of your friends.
>In principle, there is nothing at all wrong with that, and for that
>reason we got into a rather lively discussion, if you recall.
>That's what the List is for, indeed.
>
>The fact that I put a private email on the list is a dumb mistake which
>happens every now and then to list subscribers in general, and I
>publicly apologized for that.
>I will write an email to you privately (and hopefully to the right
>address) to settle "this issue" between us.
>

>A. Oorebeek

Dear Andre,

I must admit that the results of trying one punching on the vintage
Steinway was not really a valid experiment and that reporting that result
was simply a flip way for me to support my  own initial negative gut
reaction to the crescendo punching which I had just seen for the first time.

The experiment which I have just described and proposed with the Mason &
Hamlin BB with a performing Steinway Artist is the type of experiment we
should be reporting on.  Most importantly we must hear the words of the
pianists...

Sorry I got you so wound up..

I still feel that woven felts have a place in pianos and would love to see
you have some really fine quality Wurzen wovens made with the high quality
fiber....

Long live Merino sheep!

Sincerely,

David Stanwood