Stupid pet computer tricks, automate Mapquest from your database

Brad Smith staff@smithpiano.com
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:52:00 -0500

Hey THANKS Jason!!
I agree that the Google maps are better in several ways, etc...but had ended
up doing it with Mapquest because I couldn't figure out how to format a
string of text properly for GoogleMaps, other than cutting/pasting/opening
Google, etc.  I wanted to automate the creation of that customized link,
once and be done, without having to cut/paste and manually open GoogleMaps
every time.

 Upon reviewing it again, there is a cool feature on GoogleMaps, which I
hadn't seen, which was already there!
"LINK TO THIS PAGE",  which does mostly what I had done with Mapquest,
although you still have to cut and paste it in there the first time, to
create the link. But, once you do it, you have that link, and can stick it
in the database.

The MapQuest format lended itself easier to customized text string creation,
without having to cut, go there, paste and click
Here again is the example using Mapquest
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=Kansas City&state=KS&address=4444
Forest Avenue&zip=66106&country=us&zoom=7

Here is the same idea using GoogleMaps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4444+Forest+Avenue,+Kansas+City,+KS++66106&spn
=0.033020,0.056793&hl=en

In order to do the same thing I was doing with MapQuest, I would need to
have my dummy letter produce this string of text.
And that is where I've reached the end of my abilities.   My database won't
'parse' out the different parts of the address to allow me to insert them
into this text string.  It will produce "4444 Forest Avenue" wherever you
please, but it won't produce just the "4444" and allow me to treat it as a
separate entity, which GoogleMaps apparently does magi-technically.
Now, after expounding to others on the 'user friendly' virtues of contact
management databases vs. more powerful stuff like Access and Foxpro, the
limits of contact manager software become apparent.

Still, it may be worth automating as much of the
cut/copy/launchGoogleMaps/paste/copyLink routine as possible, using
GoogleMaps, since the end result is far superior to MapQuest quality.  And,
those satellite maps are truly amazing!
I guess I don't have to leave the house now. Thanks for helping me take a
second look!

Brad Smith
www.smithpiano.com