Steinway O Redesign

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:48:55 -0700

Dale:

Check out a bass float on that M.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 7:35 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Steinway O Redesign

>     This is very much the same effect as a singer properly sustaining
> note or a Mesa De voce style of singing where the note being sustained

> intentionally starts at a lower volume & is then expanded dynamically
&
> then contracted. Only in the pianos case the duration of the Mesa de
voce
> is longer. It's a wonderful effect .

It certainly is. I'm not sure the volume goes up after the attack,
but a lot of other stuff sympathetically kicks in after a second or
so when the soundboard doesn't waste what energy there is. It
gets... richer, like expecting milk and getting a shake.
  Ron
  I like this description better.  It's is like more horsepower Or a
notch higher or whatever
 It's more better sounding.
than the Old design

 I got the plate back last Monday, looking like a
cinder. I'd loved to have done some needed modifications, but It
wasn't being fixed - just un-broke. Spent two long days and half of
a third filling, sanding, spraying, lettering, sweating, and wishing
I was somewhere else.
  This is one reason I prefer the loch-n- stich repair.  These guys sell
do it yo sef repair kits & it doesnt' look that tough even with the
plate in the piano. Of course there is still the filling & usual body
work  to attend to after wards. I know people weld plates but the guys
at loch-n- stich say it really isn't possible or at least risky  Huh?
any way.
. He'll get back
to me... Yea. Maybe the next one I get in will be a real job. I'm
curious how a mo-defiled M performs, but this one wasn't it.
  I'm just doing up the rib scale & cut-off  on an M now & I'm also
interseted in the outcome.
  After the stupefying success of the O I my enthusiasm is frankly
 re- energized.

Looking forward to KC to rest up for a couple of days. Might even
get my hands clean by week's end.
   Have fun
   Dale

Ron N