Epoxy Fillers, was: steinway O redesign.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:43:13 -0400

Dale,

Go to http://westsystem.com/ and click on "Product Information". Scroll =
about half-way down and click on "Filler Buying Guide" - it details how =
much of the various fillers is needed to achieve catsup, mayonnaise, and =
peanut butter consistencies. Often, in situations like filling a rib =
notch where strength is simply not a concern, I will use #407 =
Low-Density filler (microballons) because it is so incredibly easy to =
sand.

When using epoxy to bond things that require a high strength bond (like =
a wooden rim brace, fish or cut-off bar), I almost always use #404 =
High-Density filler. Mmmmm heap strong stuff!

Another West System filler that I always keep on my shelf is #403 =
Microfibers. I always use that for laminating structural elements such =
as laminated cut-off bars, bridge roots and caps, and pinblocks.

On the West System website, right next to where you can click on "Filler =
Buying Guide" is "Filler Selection Guide" - that outlines the most =
common recommended uses and properties of the various fillers.

I don't really use the colloidal silica because there are other better =
fillers for situations I run across and because it is more difficult to =
mix into the resin than other fillers.

Terry Farrell
     David
      I've been using the west systems fairing filler which is a decent =
color but it still quite fluid even if I add a fair amount so assume =
adding  C.S. turns the consistency to something like play dough? How =
does it effect strength? Not that matters much in this application
    Dale
    Mix the epoxy with colloidal silica, in addition to your other =
filler of choice (available from West System).  You can make the epoxy =
as thick as you want it and it will stay in the notches without tape.  =
Over fill slightly and sand it flat.  It=E2=80=99s good stuff to use for =
fitting pinblocks as well.  =20

     David Love
    davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20