Confidence

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:59:09 -0500

One must have a certain amount of confidence in his/her abilities in
order to go out in the world and make a living working on pianos as we
do.  I think I normally have enough, born of 30+ years of doing this.
That is........until - like yesterday - I encounter a Famous Maker model
K.  I left the customer's home convinced that I was the worst pin
twister in the state if not the world! =20

=20

What a terrible combination, that instrument.  The high price
(exorbitant price?) combined with the Famous Maker decal on the front
leads the customer to have great expectations.  Somehow the funky tone
at the south end of the long bridge must be the tuner's fault, and the
false beats mean he can't tune. =20

=20

Sorry about the rant.  I've resorted to simple jobs today, busing keys,
cleaning etc.  Maybe I'll learn this business yet!

=20

dave

=20

David M. Porritt, RPT