Epoxy Fillers, was: steinway O redesign.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:29:15 EDT

Terry
   Thanks for the great info, this will help the epoxy  impaired among us.
   Dale

Dale,

Go to _http://westsystem.com/_ (http://westsystem.com/)
(http://www.westsystem.com/)  and  click on "Product Information". Scroll about half-way down and
click on  "Filler Buying Guide" - it details how much of the various fillers
is needed  to achieve catsup, mayonnaise, and peanut butter consistencies.
Often, in  situations like filling a rib notch where strength is simply not a
concern, I  will use #407 Low-Density filler (microballons) because it is so
incredibly easy to sand.

When using epoxy to bond things that require a high strength bond (like a
wooden rim brace, fish or cut-off bar), I almost always use #404 High-Density
filler. Mmmmm heap strong stuff!

Another West System filler that I always keep on my shelf is #403
Microfibers. I always use that for laminating structural elements such as  laminated
cut-off bars, bridge roots and caps, and pinblocks.

On the West System website, right next to where you can click on "Filler
Buying Guide" is "Filler Selection Guide" - that outlines the most common
recommended uses and properties of the various fillers.

I don't really use the colloidal silica because there are other better
fillers for situations I run across and because it is more difficult to mix  into
the resin than other fillers.

Terry Farrell