Need Advice on Baldwin Hamilton Studio Upright

Robert Finley rfinley@rcn.com
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:19:47 -0400

I have to tune some pianos in the practice studios of a college for a =
piano competition next week, and I encountered a problem with a Baldwin =
Hamilton studio console upright today. During the tuning I accidentally =
dropped a wedge mute into the action, and it rested on the hammer butts. =
When I tried to retrieve it I accidentally dislodged the hammer but =
spring which is a straight whisker-like spring that comes down =
vertically from a rail and presses on a felt pad on the hammer butt. It =
ended up sticking out at an angle. I tried to put it back on the felt =
pad of the hammer butt with my fingers, and then displaced an adjacent =
spring. There was no room to maneuver.

Please could someone advise me what the best and easiest way would be to =
put the hammer butt springs back in place? I assume there is no tool I =
could use to grasp the springs and put them back in place? Will I have =
to take the action out of the piano to gain access to the springs?

I am a learning about piano tuning and repair. This is the first problem =
I have encountered, so it should be good practice and experience for me. =
 I am concerned though that this is unfamiliar territory. I have to fix =
the piano and complete the tuning tomorrow so that it will be ready for =
the contestants. I have taken a grand piano action out before without =
any problems, but not a vertical one, so I am concerned whether =
something else more serious might become dislodged.=20

I found this Baldwion Hamilton piano difficult to work with because =
there was very little space to put a rubber wedge mute or felt =
temperament strip mute. That is why the rubber mute dropped into the =
action.=20

Any advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you =
very much.=20

Robert Finley