Piano Religion ... was Pitchlock

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:26:41 -0500

Just returned from KC and was interested in the comments below. I was in
classes and conversations with some of our most experienced
rebuilders/voicers/concert prep types, etc., and wish to comment on an
observation. I mean this to be light--and certainly not offensive--but not
quite tongue-in-cheek, either, because there is a serious side to it ...

One person taught: ABSOLUTELY, always seat the strings on the bridge (light
taps, rubbing, pushing with material softer than string steel, etc.).
Another said: ABSOLUTELY, always give all the bridge pins a judicious tap
or two before you even think about tuning or voicing. Ron says: No way to
either procedure, and I think others agree with him.

One said: NEVER EVER "cross stitch" voice under the strike point. Another
said: BY ALL MEANS, needle this felt. Some said: Use steam, use pliers, use
alcohol/water. Others: NO NO NO NEVER. One said he only uses lacquer,
another said he never uses lacquer (takes too long to dry and much too long
to stabilize), always use plastic/acetone. Most people say: NEVER deep
needle the strike point and rarely sugar it. One said, basically, Have at
it! and proceeded to demonstrate it on a new hammer in a new Kawai
grand--deeply, aggressively and vigorously, too!

I spent 3 hours with Virgil Smith, a treat. Very interesting and a
delightful person. Some think he's something of a mystic in his approaches
to tuning, and don't subscribe to them.

Anyway, I used to think our business was about 1/2 art and 1/2 science; but
no more. I am now convinced it's about 1/3 art, 1/3 science, and 1/3
religion!

By the latter, I mean that people practice what they BELIEVE to be true art
and what they believe to be true science; what they have faith in because
of their own experience and their faith in the people they learned it from.
Others--of different piano religions--believe other things, often radically
contrary.

And there is NOT -- as our Internet discussion about "where the flatness
goes" proved -- a sufficient body of scientific study, or even collected
empirical data, to prove or disprove anybody's piano religion.

Nor is there anything approaching artistic consensus on many, many topics
that are really quite important. So we have little that can be described as
uncontested orthodoxy in piano belief--with the possible exception that
soaking a piano in a pond is generally agreed to be a bad idea unless the
words "Winter & Sons" appear on the fallboard.

I find this fascinating. People trying to learn the craft over many years,
have surely been frustrated that the path to enlightenment has so many
forks in it!

The saddest thing is that sometimes, as among all religions, hard feelings
are often harrowed up and much bitterness has arisen, over the years,
between people who should be friends and collegeaues.

BTW, Scott would disagree with some of the Pitch-Lock comments that have
been posted lately. For one thing, they would tell you to fix the
string/bridge problems, etc., and only use the clips to fix bad string
matching, mysterious falseness, and other nasties that won't go away after
all else is tried.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

P.S.B.S. If nominated, I will not run for Piano Pope; if elected, I will
not serve. I would, however, wear the cool hats.