Piano Religion ... was Pitchlock

Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:01:33 +0100

Hello List and Alan B - who was so bold as to state that there are more ways
of killing a cat (I think that's right!)
something to do with cream... At least, that was the gist of it. Good for
you Alan. We all have our little foibles, our little religions and we are
all sure we all do it the right way. By "it" I mean tuning and action work.
There was me the other day lambasting all and sundry about excessive use of
computer tuning devices instead of using the ears we were given and trusting
in them. I fully subscribe to that obviously. Others go the way of thumping
bridge pins or wrest pins or doping hammers or doping wrest pins or
extracting bridge pins and re-inserting them in a goo or glue...and needling
deep and shallow on the striking point or under it.... At the end of the day
if the piano turns out not only as you feel it ought to but to the clients'
satisfaction, then everyone is happy... No-one should thump the drum and say
"you're wrong!" There's a little bit of  right in all we do otherwise we
wouldn't all still be in business. Anyone heard from Isaac Oleg lately? And
this is where the List comes in. On it  we broadcast our questions and we
try and answer these in the way we honestly feel (I hope!) and the Tuning
World is a better place for it. There's a lot of answers out there to many
problems - each of us has an answer to many of them and those answers may
indeed be in conflict. We presume that all those giving those answers are
giving them in the spirit (here we go - religion again!) of passing on
experience having "been there and done that and this is the way I did it"
Good show! Here's a strange thing.... If you play M10 chromatically in a
bass-wards direction on a well tuned piano and the bottom note goes into the
bass covered section, like as not the beat-rate will suddenly change in one
piano. Do the same in another with the same criteria and the beat-rate may
not change - that is it may continue to gradually slow down in accordance
with the frequencies involved and the twelfth root of 2. The better the
piano the more linear the change, the covered section making no difference
to that expected change. Ever noticed that cats have holes in their fur just
where their eyes are?
I planted two Silver Birch trees in my garden today and already they're
twelve feet tall... My way of keeping green...
Regards from a balmy Summer evening in the Downland Village. Michael G.(UK)