Rib Crowned Hamburgs ?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 01:31:37 EDT

Ron
  8 mm /.320ish is on the thin side for a 9ft grand  of any make . A board
this thin doesn't really need much thinning. In fact  it's probably not thick
enough in the treble. I'm unaware of the German  factory's rhetoric on panel
thinning. I'm guessing it sounded a bit thin?  grin
  Regards
  Dale

Very  often the factory line doesn't match the actual product. How
often have we  heard about the tapering of sound board panels from
S&S. They may have  done it at some time but . . . The original board
which I pulled from a  1962 Hamburg D last year had a 8 mm thick panel
everywhere. I still have  the original panel at the workshop.

Ron O.

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com