Rib Crowned Hamburgs ?

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:36:27 +0200

Hi Dale

They have a machine for doing this these days, largely an automatic
process.  I believe they mention 10 mm in the middle of the panel
gradually tapered out to 8 mm around the perimeters. Hard to see why a
piano could come through that didnt have this condition. I did not have
time to get all my questions answered, or for that matter think of all
the questions I could have, but I got the idea that this thining, along
with the feathering was to create a kind of perimeter spring. This would
no doubt affect the frequency modes of the assembly as a whole. Perhaps
also distribute some of the down bearing load away from the middle of
the panel ?  Anyways... a clear answer on that point will have to wait
until my next visit.

On the side, the Hamburg plant is moving increasingly in the direction
of automation.  Automated machines have been installed in the last 10-12
years for processing the plate, for drilling and notching the bridge,
and for processing the rim/pinblock assembly amoung others.  They also
are using maple for their rims now increasingly getting away from the
mahogany used in the past. They get their maple pre-processed from the
NY factory, ready made to glue and press into laminates.  They put out
roughly 4 raw rims a day of different sizes.

More as I think of it.

Cheers
RicB

Ron
  8 mm /.320ish is on the thin side for a 9ft grand  of any make . A board
this thin doesn't really need much thinning. In fact  it's probably not thick
enough in the treble. I'm unaware of the German  factory's rhetoric on panel
thinning. I'm guessing it sounded a bit thin?  grin
  Regards
  Dale