back problems

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:49:44 -0400

Greetings list members,
         I can't believe we're just back from the National convention and=20
already I'm faced with a weird problem. I'm attempting to re-glue the back=
=20
to pin block glue joint on an old S&S console. I slathered the glue in (hot=
=20
hide) and left it in about a week prior to leaving for the convention. The=
=20
day before I left I took off the clamps and tried to raise the tension back=
=20
up. (Yes, I let it down first).  When I was reapplying tension from the=20
treble down I got to the low tenor and all seemed fine. As I progressed=20
into the bass region I started hearing funny sounds and then it let go=20
right where I had glued it. Before catching my airplane I ordered 6" flat=20
head 5/16" machine screws from McMaster - Carr in order to drill and bolt=20
all the way through and put washers and nuts out the back side. I just=20
finished doing that and can't seem to close the gap all the way. The=20
pictures in the attachment are what it looks like now. Any thoughts? Would=
=20
it be completely wrong to drill a new hole in the raised trim of the plate?=
=20
Just one would draw it together I'd bet but it seems a little dicey to=20
drill there.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Newell