Kansas City (MO & KS)

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:47:59 -0600

Hi Stan, Are you saying that there was less room for exhibitors or that =
spaces were not used?
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: J. Stanley Ryberg=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:13 PM
  Subject: Kansas City (MO & KS)

  Fellow Listers (root cause for the list unidentified as yet...),

  The convention was as satisfying and as exhausting as usual...the only =
negative (and a small one at that) was that the Exhibition Hall seemed a =
bit less populous than usual...not by those attending, but those =
exhibiting.  The quality of the exhibits is not in question, simply that =
there seemed to be fewer of them.

  Personal thanks to Laura Olsen and Jack Wyatt, Isaac Sadigursky, Mary =
Cushing Smith, Paolo Faziolo and Rick Baldassin, Joe Garrett, Richard =
Davenport, Roger Jolly, Steve Pearson and Joe Swenson, Ward Guthrie, and =
finally David Carpenter, in the last class I was able to attend.  =
Informational, inspirational, rational...and occasionally crazy in the =
ways that we understand so well...and VERY much appreciated!  Needless =
to say, there were a raft of classes that I was unable to attend because =
they conflicted with the above...but that gives me a reason to keep =
attending.  Perhaps next time....

  One of the main reasons for going to KC was to see the Home =
Office...particularly the museum.  Jack Wyatt (may he continue =
forever...or at least longer than I do) asked for reactions, both =
positive and negative, then asked if I would pose these to the List in =
the hope of generating some discussion that would be helpful to the =
evolution, as it were, of the museum.  Jack asked first for the negative =
reactions.  I had two, but they are so related that they could be the =
same thing.  I would like to see a published Catalogue of the holdings =
of the museum...I mean, I would readily PURCHASE a catalogue of the =
museum!  Related to this, the descriptive material (perhaps condensed =
somewhat) could serve also as signage for the various items =
(instruments, etc.) on display.

  The positive reactions were on the tip of my tongue...I came to see =
three  categories of items in the museum...1) the instruments =
themselves, 2) action models, many of which are original or primarily =
original from the manufacturers represented and 3) a collection of =
historic tools.  I was not disappointed.  The museum space could always =
be larger, but I was impressed with the amount of space dedicated to it =
in a building which must accommodate a variety of functions while =
maintaining the day-to-day operations of the PTG.  And if the museum =
display becomes a rotating one, with instruments and/or tool displays =
changed from time to time, then I say there is one more good reason to =
attend future conventions in KC!

  There!  I've had my say...what say ye????

  Hello to those Listers...Listees?...that I met for the first time face =
to face, and to those I've known for a while...that's another HUGE =
reason to attend.  Nice to see actual faces and hear actual voices, =
isn't it?  Yet, I returned to the realization that I SAW Phil Bondi =
once, but wasn't able to connect just then, and I somehow missed Alan =
Barnard completely, but I DID meet Brian Lawson, who assured me that the =
world was still out there (!), and....I'll stop now, without even =
MENTIONING Dave Andersen.....!  "And a good time was had by all!"

  Let's do it again!!!!!

  Stan Ryberg=20
  Barrington IL=20
  jstan40@sbcglobal.net