How to adjust let-off with no adjustable capstan?

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:31:39 -0400

Let-Off?? Don't you mean lost motion?

Those nails seem rather high for a capstan. You'll have to build up
the back of the key to support the typical 28mm (1") capstan.
The span also looks too short to accommodate a dowel type capstan.

Plug the holes. Add a cap. Redrill for new threaded capstans.
Cut plugs from old keys with a 1" x 1/4" plug cutter. If you want,
I can send a you a set since I have them already made up
for changing capstan lines.

It would be rather uncomplicated. Setup the drill press to ream the holes
to 1/4". install plugs and wooden caps. Now the drill press is already setup
for drilling the new capstan (don't forget to change to a smaller bit).
--

Regards,

Jon Page