Table saw recommendations?

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:04:57 -0400

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input, both on- and off-list!!  :-)

Based on what I could find (couldn't find the Bosch), what I could =
afford ($500), and what I had room enough to accommodate in my limited =
space (had to have wheels and roll into a corner when not in use), I got =
the Hitachi C10FL.  I ruled out the Rigid 10" table saw based on the =
advice I've received here (e.g. that the Rigid folks think nothing is =
wrong when a drill press has .015 runout).  The Rigid started out as my =
slightly more favored saw, owing to its generous table space and longer =
fence guides, but the fence just works better on the Hitachi.  (Besides, =
the PLASTIC fence lock was broken off of the Rigid floor model, and the =
Hitachi fence lock and mechanism was perfectly intact, even though the =
unit was much, much more worn, with practically no finish left on the =
metal lock handle.)  So on the philosophy that the fence is everything, =
I got the Hitachi.

"Japanese" manufacture (exported to Taiwan) is slipping, though.  A =
couple of holes on the stand had to be expanded laterally to allow =
insertion of the screws, and one elongated hole on the left table =
extension (used for truing the extension with the main table) needed to =
be elongated about another 3/16 to work.  The instructions also lack =
parts detail (e.g. which very similar but not exactly identical parts to =
use where), so that the picture on the box was almost more useful for =
assembly.  A couple of the hooks were obviously designed for a couple of =
additional screws not provided.  To my surprise, the saw didn't come =
adjusted perfectly true, so I'll have to spend a bit of time with setup =
adjustments.  For instance, front to back, the blade is maybe 1/64 out =
of line with the table and fence.  So there are a bit more rough edges =
than I would expect from a Japanese manufacturer.  Not a big problem, =
though.

By the way, I've bought Grizzly tooling before.  Nice stuff!  I have a =
large Grizzly metal lathe and a milling machine that work accurately and =
flawlessly.  I also have a small Grizzly bandsaw with which I'm =
constantly at war.  But I don't use a bandsaw very often.  The more =
difficult issue with Grizzly, as I recall, is time (and I needed the saw =
now, not later) and shipping.  Grizzly at least used to ship by Yellow =
Freight, and they have a nasty habit of pulverizing everything of mine =
that they touch.  Can you imagine their loading my crated 1000+ lb lathe =
in the very TOP of the truck?  Not only do I feel very sorry for =
everything that was shipped underneath it, but they managed to drop it =
from the top to the bottom while unloading!  I bet it left a hole in the =
floor of the truck.  Grizzly had to ship me another, because I wasn't =
going to trust a lathe that had been dropped 12 ft.  Yellow Freight =
banged up the second lathe too, but not as badly.  I accepted shipment.  =
Anyway, I didn't need the Grizzly/Yellow Freight hassles again with the =
table saw.  Just an easy purchase from a local retail outlet.  :-)

Anyway, thanks so much for all the advice!  :-)  Hopefully it will be =
smooth sailing from here, but I might ask another question or two if =
it's not.  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah

=20