How to adjust let-off with no adjustable capstan?

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:31:44 +0200

Hi John.

Most of the older Pleyel pianos (from before 1870 or so) have the same
"problem".  You'd have to tweak with key height and hammer rest rail cloth
to make sure every jack can get to it's rest position, and alow for a bit
lost motion for the lower ones.  But here you see that if you are really
accurate in every other setting, that works quite well.  Of course, the
hammer rail must be perfectly straight and the buckskin of the noses very
even, but on old Pleyel pianos, the hammer rail is kind of adjustable, I
think for this purpose.  Also I believe that those pianos had a bit more
lost motion than none, and that the letoff was meant to be a bit further
away from the strings, I suppose to allow for less precise adjustments.  Ah,
those skills are gone !  But that was the time that they "tuned" the hammer
shanks to match the perfect thump for every hammer.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.