How to adjust let-off with no adjustable capstan?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:10:47 -0500

> Hi Ron.
>
> Bah, and then, if you were a sculptor, would you choose clay (sooo easy)
> or marble (sooo difficult) for your next masterpiece ?  What would you
> make tend toward one or the other material ?

I'd chose the clay for playing with, and the marble for the finished
work (unless I cast the clay in bronze), but this is an entirely
different thing. We aren't making a masterpiece with this old
capstan challenged upright. It's a no pay, maximum aggravation, zero
expectation lost cause that realistically passed it's life
expectancy many (manymanymany) years ago. If I was trapped into
adjusting lost motion in this critter, I'd just cut my losses, add
real capstans, and escape as quickly, cheaply, and thoroughly as
possible with a promise to myself to do everything I could to avoid
being in that situation again. It doesn't always work, naturally,
because we always eventually find ourselves in another no win
situation. It's the nature of us.

> Beware, as the answer on this question will tell much about the intimate
> you.

Too late! I'm exposed.

No peeking.

Ron N