Arledge Bass strings

Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:10:54 +0100

Hello Dale & List
Here's another string maker to examine:
www.hellerbass.de =20
e-mail: hellerbass@t-online.de
True, it's along way from USA but I thought another string-maker in the =
kitty was all to the good. I am about to get my first set for my Hamburg =
S&S "A" from Gregor Heller.
Regards
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 1:34 AM
  Subject: Arledge Bass strings

     List
     Speaking of strings, I've had the pleasure now of using  about 6 =
sets of the Arledge strings  & I like them very much. I like the =
neatness of the  wraps etc. But as much as this I find the tone color of =
the scaling a bit darker  thru  out but I find it especially refreshing =
in the top of the bass scales where typically many makers get a bit thin =
& whiny sounding which I believe is a tension problem.
      I haven't checked but I'd guess at a bit heavier scaling being =
employed which, in my limited scaling experience gives a darker tone =
with more power.
    IE the Old 1920's  stwy L scale in the region of notes 20 - 26 were =
scaled toward the 70% of breaking strength & they sounded awesome. When =
on occasion I have replaced sets where the tension was reduced in this =
area the tone suffers greatly. ON having it corrected the tone came =
back. I'm not finding this weakness in  the Arledge strings at present.
    I'm interested in any ones feedback be it objective or subjective.
     Cheers
    Dale Erwin
    Oh & I like personal service, southern hospitableness & a can do =
attitude.
   !!!!!!!!!

  Erwins Pianos Restorations=20
  4721 Parker Rd.