Bass strings control - cleaning them

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:09:26 +0200

Hello Michael.

Thanks for advise.  That cleaning was a joke.  I too did this on my very =
first restoration project, and of course will never do it again.  But =
this makes me think about something interesting to distinguish :=20
there is the dead, tubby sound as opposed to the lively, normal bright =
sound
and there is a normal bright sound as opposed to a normal bright sound =
with extra singing upper partials on forte playing.
My goal would be to control just those extra upper ziiing, if possible =
not touching the timbral shape of the note.

Best regards.

St=E9phane Collin.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Gamble=20
  To: St=E9phane Collin ; pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:12 PM
  Subject: Re: Bass strings control - cleaning them

  Hello Stephane
  Someone on the List already in great difficulty thru' cleaning 10 year =
old Bass strings - they've gone dead and tubby sounding he said. I =
wouldn't advise cleaning bass strings at all - just opens a whole can of =
worms. Reason is the stuff (if it's liquid) gets into the interstices of =
the copper covering and cruds up the core.
  Regards=20
  Michael G.(UK)