knuckle size/ knuckle mounting distance

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:12:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Barbara,

My experience with this has been to be very careful
about the knuckle diameters and location.  The
geometry issues are complex.  You may find that
different wippens only regulate well with certain
knuckle sizes and moving the knuckle location will
change the action ratio and therefore touch weight as
well.  Pay attention to the drop screw;  you may find
that you are running out of range with some
combinations of parts.

When doing this kind of work, I make prototypes with
various combinations of knuckle diameter and knuckle
locations and test all the available wippen/shank
combinations.  I would also suggest testing things in
more than one place on the scale.  Some pianos are not
consistent across the scale.

Wally Brooks, if I recall correctly, has wide
selection of knuckles.

Best regards,

Vladan