My Personal PTN

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:52:28 -0700

At 06:12 PM 6/28/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>My personal PTN (Piano Tuner's Nightmare) is a Samick SG-172.
>
>This little grand is fairly new, resides in a nice church, is played a
>lot, holds it's tune quite well (such as it is), and shrieks like a
>wounded calliope.
>
>It is NOT a lively room but I HAVE to wear earplugs on 8vas 5-7 to protect
>my ears. Yes, voicing down the petrified hammers would help immensely, but
>they don't have the budget.

Try the vodka. Don't overdo. Just squeeze a little into the string grooves.
It's so fast that it can fit right into a normal tuning, so budget isn't an
issue.

Sometimes it raises a little ridge at the ends of the grooves, where the
felt has been packed down instead of flaked into oblivion. A swipe or two
with a paddle will fix that, restoring an oval contour, not filing to the
bottom of the grooves. Still minimal time. Getting rid of the long flat on
the end of the hammer may also eventually save you some broken wire.

Life's too short to listen to wounded calliopes. Besides, with the voicing
the way it is, the thing is taking extra time for the tuning, anyway. Might
as well voice with the time instead.

Don't overdo. Some of these churches like their Samicks to sound this way.

Susan