What to do for sore wrists and arms.

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:10:00 -0300

Full body massage. I don't think my Wife would allow me to have that done. :-)
When I tune, I think that I kind of use my whole body, with a partial locking of the arm.
It is hard to explain, it might have started when I had tennis elbow and had to adapt.
I am 67 now, and my arms and shoulders don't get sore. Sometimes my back will be. I guess I am just lucky, in not having the problems that some seem to have.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Phil Bondi
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 4:03 PM
  Subject: Re: What to do for sore wrists and arms.

  Vinny, the first thing that comes to mind is your technique. Tight pins or not, you should not have to rely on Advil at the end of your working day to make a living in this business.

  Another thing that comes to mind is the kind of tuning lever you're using. In KC, I watched Virgil Smith tune a piano on Sunday Morning with a tuning lever that I personally would not use. It was heavy for my tastes..but first let's talk about technique. It's very hard to do that in this medium, but let's try:

  -Your wrist, forearms, triceps and medial deltoid muscles work best with they're working together for the better part of your tunings. There are situations where these muscles will be called on individually, but not too often.

  -If your hand spends alot of time at the end of the lever, and your arm is always at a 90 degree angle to the lever, I suspect this will add to tension and fatigue to those muscles. Notice I said "I suspect" because speaking for myself, the closer I get to setting the pin, the closer my hand gets to the middle of my tuning lever.

  These are places to start as far as technique is concerned, and if technique is not an issue, then:

  Conrad: 44R..pinstripe!

  You should also know that part of my mental/physical well-being is a full body massage 2x a month.

  -Phil Bondi(Fl)