What to do for sore wrists and arms.

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:53:12 -0600

Vinny,
    Tools and technique are primary concerns for low-stress pain-free
tuning. But..... flamesuit zipped-up to the neck..... strong arms help.
Yeah, yeah, we all know petite tuners knockin' out 5 a day with very little
fatigue. They have great technique and they're not generally working for
Baldwin dealers. :^)  Honestly, a little extra time a few times a week
invested on your forearm muscles will get your flexors and extensors to the
point of being able to finesse several tunings a day with less fatigue and
a lot more control. For me, it's the control benefit that I really like.
Simple mechanics. Now, a note: It's ALL you muscles, y'know. Not just arms.
And... like Phil said, 2 times a month to the massage therapist will pay
for itself big time. Speaking of which, I'd be willing to bet (something
cheap) that if you added a forearm regime to your workout, about 10 minutes
three times a week, you'd get that time back from your tunings. Really.
Stronger arms=more control=faster note-setting. I could suggest a few sets,
but better to go get a book. Something you can refer back to often.
Consider lifter's gloves with wrap-around wrist support.
"check with your physician first".... yeah, right, he's right next to
"piano" in the yellow pages, that's close enough.............

Later,
Guy