What to do for sore wrists and arms.

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:37:39 -0500

My hands, wrists, and arms do ok, its the cramp right under my shoulder
blade on my back. This happens working at the bench, as well. I assume
its from holding your arm out in front of your body. Any ideas?

Cramping muscles usually are a result of unbalanced muscle groups. Do
pull ups/chin ups, or the equivalent on a weight machine. This solves
shoulder/neck cramps for me.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Richard Gullion
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:05 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: What to do for sore wrists and arms.

Phil Bondi <phil@philbondi.com> wrote:
Vinny, the first thing that comes to mind is your technique. Tight pins
or not, you should not have to rely on Advil at the end of your working
day to make a living in this business.

Another thing that comes to mind is the kind of tuning lever you're
using. In KC, I watched Virgil Smith tune a piano on Sunday Morning with
a tuning lever that I personally would not use. It was heavy for my
tastes..but first let's talk about technique. It's very hard to do that
in this medium, but let's try:

-Your wrist, forearms, triceps and medial deltoid muscles work best with
they're working together for the better part of your tunings. There are
situations where these muscles will be called on individually, but not
too often.

-If your hand spends alot of time at the end of the lever, and your arm
is always at a 90 degree angle to the lever, I suspect t! his will add
to tension and fatigue to those muscles. Notice I said "I suspect"
because speaking for myself, the closer I get to setting the pin, the
closer my hand gets to the middle of my tuning lever.

These are places to start as far as technique is concerned, and if
technique is not an issue, then:

Conrad: 44R..pinstripe!

You should also know that part of my mental/physical well-being is a
full body massage 2x a month.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)

Richard
the "Piano Guy"