Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:07:52 -0000

MessageHello Jerry, Alan and List
Let us not forget Roger Jolly's wonderful steam approach. He sent me a =
copy of his treatise on the subject and I've tried it. It works. =
Needle-less voicing... worth a thought? Non?
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jerry Cohen=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 3:28 PM
  Subject: RE: Modern Tone II, the Return of the Question

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf Of Alan
  Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:08 AM
  To: 'Pianotech'

  P.S.  Part of my pursuit of this at this time is a desire to rescue an =
area Methodist church from the shrill, busy, ultra-bright, piercing, =
stident, trident (gummed up) sound of the little Samick SG-172 grand =
they bought. I'm pretty sure it's going to start with some serious =
string seating, bridge pin stabilization, and regulation--followed by a =
session in the back room with those hammers ... under a bright light ... =
with a rubber hose and brass knuckles, to soften them up. I don't THINK =
I could make it worse, even with what I know, now.  And, no, there are =
no other guild techs within two hours of here and no local yokels I'd =
want to invite to help. I am alllllll aloooooooone here in the elephant =
ivory graveyard.

  Alan,

  I think the Samick is an excellent piano to start learning with. I did =
some voicing on one a few weeks ago. It was also shrill and painful to =
tune. The hammers are actually decent quality, and with needling, you =
can create nice elasticity in the shoulders, and create whatever you =
want as you approach the top.

  Since you are just starting, my advice is to make some improvement in =
some section. If you try to do everything, you will get frustrated and =
lose perspective. For example, even though the whole piano sounds =
shrill, try to find one octave that is a little worse (or a lot worse) =
than the rest. Work only on that section, and try to make it blend =
perfectly with the rest of the piano. By doing this you will be =
developing your skills at not only tone building, but also creating an =
even line. After you have finished that section, pat yourself on the =
back, and leave the piano for maybe a week or two. Then you can start =
working on other sections.  If you work on the whole piano at once, you =
can easily lose your reference.=20

  We met briefly during Don Mannino's voicing class in Sacramento. While =
he spent more time on pre-voicing, he really did demonstrate most of the =
principles of voicing. I suggest starting with the shoulders, trying to =
feel the elasticity being created. Work on one note at a time. Make a =
few stabs, front and rear, and listen to the result. The difference =
should be heard in the mF and F levels. Listen very carefully. When you =
hear a difference, move to the next note, even if you haven't finished =
the first one. Remember, the needling tool works a lot better than the =
unneedling tool! Eventually you can start working up to the crown, but =
stay away from the strike point for now. Use this area to create a nice =
mp and p sound. The final result should be nice tone which has variety =
from pp to F. At FF it should start to crash. Then you have created the =
full dynamic range of the piano.

  It was good to meet you last month, however briefly, and I hope this =
helps.

  Jerry Cohen

  NJ Chapter