Recycled Upright

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 13 May 2005 10:57:52 EDT

Terry
  Do you want the post? I have plenty already. Come get  it I have guest
quarters Yes the sides are maple................... like I  said
E-V-E-R-T-H-I-N-G- GRIN.
    As you know the grain orientation on maple  (any wood) is prone to carve
easily one way  but tends to splinter up the  other. SO all I'm doing is
determining with some pre -chiseling which way  the grain on the  pieces in
question are going to slice most  cooperatively & then glue them together in opposite
directions.  The individual pieces are usually 1 to1 1/2 " wide so the
resulting piece is  twice the width. Need a picture?
  all woods have a stated specific gravity & modulus  of elastisity based on
a general density found in the species but As Hoadley  states the increase in
density also means an increase in weight & density  & stiffness. I forget the
percentage rate above the average for the species  but it was something like
as much as 25%.  Increased density means  less string crushing over time &
also less damping effect than a  softer variety. Perhaps this is erroneous
thinking I still use the tightest  hardest stuff in the trebles & I like the results
of the overall systems.  Isn't this one of the advantages  of the Terry
Farrel thinly laminated  bridge caps assembled with epoxy is about?
   I know my country boy logic drives some folks  nuts but hey People say my
pianos sound good.
  Dale Erwin

The sides were solid hard maple? I've never seen that - but I haven't  yanked
that many old uprights apart. You are throwing the back out? Solid oak?  Why
not use it? Make braces, fish, etc. out of it.

Can you better explain what you are doing with the treble caps? Reversing
the grain?

Do bridge caps have meaningful impedance properties?

Thanks.

Terry Farrell