Re voicing hammers

Sun, 15 May 2005 09:17:46 +0100

Hello Dale, Andre-O. and List
This wretched Katz (German) upright I tune on stage for Bartered Bride =
is extremely soft sounding. We have removed the front panel and the =
kneeboard to let out more sound but.... Any one with some ideas to =
rapidly harden these hammers would be appreciated!
>From a sunny Sussex morning inThe Village as the church bells peal...
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 8:48 PM
  Subject: Re: Re voicing hammers

    Andre wrote
    On the other hand, the general principles of voicing apply to =
basically=20
    all hammers but methods differ, depending on which instrument one is =

    working on.

   So beautifully & astutely stated

    )Aside from that, American technicians have developed different =
methods=20
    and are often more in favor of using hammer hardeners or steam =
voicing.
    It is for that reason indeed much better to ask an American =
technician=20
    for advice.
    The info I give here is purely to point out the difference between=20
    European hammers and American hammers.
    perfect advice
    Regards friend
    Dale Erwin