Crushed damper stop rail

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 16 May 2005 06:00:32 -0500

At 12:39 5/16/2005 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Barbara
>
>First thing that comes to mind is the use of a washer.  Yes ??? :)
>Course depends on the instrument... and the customer. I can see situations
>where replacement is called for.  Especially if a dampers overhaul is
>called for to begin with.
>
>Cheers
>RicB
>
>/Hi all,
>
>I was wondering what your favorite methods were of dealing with grand =
>damper stop rails that have been tightened so much that the wood has =
>been crushed by the screws, making any fine adjustment, =
>well.....impossible.   What have you done?  Just replace them (sigh) or =
>would gluing in some sort of shim or filler do the job?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Barbara Richmond, RPT/

I've gone the washer route more than once, but you have to be careful.  If
the batten is severely crushed, when you put on the washer, the screw won't
be going as far into the hole and so may not have as much purchase.  I may
either strip the hole when you tighten it, or will loosen up quickly after
you leave.   You may have to shim, plug & redrill the screwhole or even use
a longer/fatter screw if that is the case. YMMV

This is, of course, assuming you are not replacing the upstop rail/batten.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.